Welcome to the Pandas’ Class Page!
We are a Year 2 class. Our teacher is Miss Cruse and our Teaching Assistants are Mrs Andrews (Monday to Wednesdays), Mrs Stratford (mornings) and Mrs Hill (Thursdays).
This week’s news:
We hope that everyone is feeling settled into this new term, time seems to be flying by. I have really enjoyed getting to know all of the children and am glad that I have been able to meet some parents. Please feel free to come and speak to me if you have any questions or concerns. Just a few reminders:
- Now that we are in May, please remember that the children will be completing their end of KS1 assessment tests (or ‘booklets’ to the children) so their attendance throughout the rest of this term is really important to allow the children to complete these.
- We do P.E. on a Monday and a Thursday, so please make sure your child has their kit in school. We have had a number of children each week without any kit and it is difficult to find enough spare items for them to borrow. Also, for safety reasons, girls who wear earrings need to either take them out for P.E. lessons or I will put tape over their earrings during the lesson. Some of the girls have found the tape to be uncomfortable so if you are able to try to take the earrings out before school on these days it may be preferred.
- Home Learning books need to be handed in on a Wednesday, ready to be given out on a Thursday. Please try to remember to put them back into your child’s bag when you have finished working with them.
Learners of the week this term:
Lucy – for being especially helpful in Miss Cruse’s first week, and engaging well in all her learning
Yasmine – for being incredibly sensible and thoughtful on our hunt for habitats around our school.
Stephen – for his increased confidence and independence, allowing him to be ready for his learning
Amelia – for excellent maths work both, especially the work she has done with Miss Dymond
Grace T – for putting effort into her learning at home, which proved successful in school!
Certificates this term:
Silver: Grace B, Oliver F
Gold: Theo M, William
New Maths Passports:
Asia: Asia, Max, Chief, Grace B, Ewan
This term in Pandas:
English: We will write non-chronological reports about Greentrees Primary School and Zambia. We will focus on our layout and including facts and opinions within our writing. In Phonics we will be following the Letters & Sounds programme and No-Nonsense Spelling for our grammar, punctuation and spelling learning.
Maths: At the start of this term, we will conclude our learning about time by exploring and comparing durations. We will then spend some time consolidating our learning so far this year.
Science: Our topic for this term is Living Things and their Habitats. We will learn about different habitats which things live in, including microhabitats, and explore those around our school. We will also think about how animals are suited to particular habitats. We will also look at food-chains within habitats.
PSHE: Our Jigsaw topic this term is ‘Relationships.’
Geography: We will be learning about Zambia. We will learn about the different provinces in Zambia, points of interests including Victoria Falls and compare its capital, Lusaka, with Salisbury. We are very lucky to also have a talk from Mr Picton all about his trips to Zambia. Towards the end of term, we will work in groups as travel agents trying to persuade children from Year 1 to travel to Zambia with our companies.
Art: We will be learning about Quentin Blake, linking with our work last term looking at Roald Dahl. We will draw in Blake’s unique style and will design our own summer themed postcards.
PE: Our PE topic this term is rounders. We will also be having Street Dance lessons on Thursday afternoons.
Computing: Our learning this term is based around using technology purposefully, including typing information we have found.
In Year 2, Home Learning books need to be handed into class by Wednesday and homework is generally set on a Thursday. If one week your child does not have home learning it is expected that they will complete tasks from the ‘on-going list’ which is on the home learning policy (see below).
Reading Books – Reading books will be changed on Mondays and Thursdays.
Maths Passports (small plastic folders) – These will be checked by Mrs Mills every other Monday.
Home Maths Packs – for named children only (larger plastic folders) – Please hand back in on Wednesdays. Mrs Andrews will put together worksheets to mirror the maths learning from that week. Please let us know if you have any questions or need support with this.
There are quite a few apps (Squeebles) and websites (Teaching Tables) you can also try out.
Home Handwriting books – for named children only – Please hand in on Mondays.
- Listening to adults read stories
- Reading (from reading book and other books/own literature – we recommend no more than 10 or 15 minutes). Please record and sign the ‘Reading Record’
- Reading and spelling from word cards
- Practise reading and spelling year 2 common exception words
- Bug Club (once allocated)
- Mathletics (once allocated)