Through our programme of study for Maths, we strive to develop learners’ with a passion for Maths by enabling children to:
- Use and understand the four mathematical operations and see connections between them
- Perform written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques with fluency
- Use and apply skills of Maths richly
- Know number facts by heart and use their knowledge of number facts and the number system when calculating and problem solving
- Show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual
- Think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, tackling a problem by looking at what they ‘do know’
- Embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts, show resilience
- Reason, generalise and make sense of solutions
- Use a wide range of mathematical vocabulary
- Show a commitment to and passion for the subject at our school, we use Numicon as the primary resource to aid teachers in their planning and assessment of Maths. We feel the practical and visual nature of this scheme helps to move children from a concrete to an abstract understanding of number and mathematical concepts. We also use the White Rose materials to ensure that we have a Mastery approach to our Maths Curriculum.
Below is a link to a Maths Passports Guide that we use in all year groups to ensure that Passport Skills are assessed consistently across the school. This resource should help you to assess each of the skills as they would be in the classroom. Where there is reference made to an ‘attached task’, these are also included here to help you.